Hybrid Turbine Engine Study (2001)

This project was a whitepaper design study that I did for myself to explore the potential of an ultra-high bypass turbofan engine with a hybrid combustion chamber.  For this project, I did a full-up thermal cycle analysis, CAD modeled all the components, and completed a first pass structural analysis of the parts using hand calculations and static FEA.This was an interesting project for me because it was the first fully analyzed engine that I designed, and, because it was only a design study, I could choose to go with potentially expensive design features that I normally would not be able to pursue.

The intent of the design was to develop an engine that could be used at extremely high altitudes intermittently for station keeping or low-thrust primary propulsion.  The combustion chamber assembly was designed to incorporate gaseous oxygen supplementation.  The engine was a two-spooled engine with the inner spool mounted to the underside of the bypass duct.  This layout would have allowed for easy core and combustion system modifications during the test program.

Advertisements